28 July 2009

I love t-shirt pants!




These have been brewing for awhile, so I finally grabbed an hour here & there to get them done. Tons of creative possibilities.  They can be long, short, or in-between. They can be simple or layered with details. These are all sized 2-3T, so one shirt is all that's needed, even a large child's sized t. A great way to use some neat graphics from a shirt you no longer - or just don't, wear. Even hand-me-downs, thanks to cousins Tommy & Kevin!

All of these shirts were given to me & had been hanging around in one drawer/bin or other, just waiting. When the weather started getting warmer & my boys needed some lighter weight pajamas, I started on these. Everything I used was already in my studio, including the elastic. Gotta love that! The pattern is the same Kwik Sew I very loosely used before - on these the adjustments were on both length & width, blending sizes, all kinds of crazy stuff. It would be easier to copy a pair that fits or just needs an adjustment you can handle. That being said - these are very simple & quick. Once you do one, you'll want to make more.



You really can go nuts with details on these little pants. I created & added the pockets, and love how they came out -  especially the leftover neck band at the top edge, (on the striped pair) and the pleat that makes the other look like a cargo pocket. The leg banding I also added - on the white pair it's leftover from the polo shirts turned into hoodies project from my first post. It's the ribbing from the sleeves. Love that detail - it makes a nice clean finish & the contrast topstitching ties it together. The blue pair uses the neck band from the striped shirt, but there wasn't enough for both legs. It adds to the overall personality, I think.

Anyone interested in more sewing details or a tutorial, just comment on this post & I'll give you the info you need. I'll try to get some action shots posted, too!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, these would be great to have for sleeping on cooler nights or just kicking around the house!
-Jane P.

Jill said...

I am so happy that you posted on my blog, because I got to see your amazing t-shirt pants. I am SO going to make these. I have never sewn knits before though, can I just use a zipper foot? Tutorial please!

Karen said...

Hey - thanks for coming by! I will try to work on a tutorial soon. You can use your regular foot on your machine - just loosen the tension a bit, use a long stitch length, & stretch the fabric as you sew. It sounds worse than it is - just practice on scrap. Also, check your manual if you have one. Good luck! Check back, I'll get you a step-by-step.

About Us | Site Map | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Blog Design | 2007 Company Name